Saturday, December 4, 2010

EPIC mac-n-cheese.

When I decide to do something I am committed to following it through to completion, and I rarely deviate from what I first decided. I am open to other suggestions, but if it something I'm doing on my own, I'm rarely budging.
Case in point for the week: macaroni and cheese. I was invited to a pot-luck dinner on Friday night and I said that I'd like to make mac-n-cheese. My friend Daynes had mentioned that she had the recipe for 5-Star Day mac-n-cheese and I decided that THAT was what I wanted to make, without perusing the recipe first. I copy the recipe, get to Kroger, then read it as I'm walking down the aisles.
Smoked gouda cheese. Half-and-half. Cheddar cheese. Milk. Parmesan cheese.
Posted by Picasa
Ooooh my. That's a lotta fat. I tried to make it not as a nutritional train-wreck by using whole grain shells instead of white elbow macaroni. I didn't hand grate the cheddar or parmesan for the cheese sauce because I was short on time (I only hand grated the cheese for the top). And if I ever make this gem again I'm adding in fresh spinach and broccoli.

However, it came out quite well. And I have WAY too much (nothing new). Want some mac-n-cheese?

4 comments:

  1. Um, YES please!! There was some awesome mac-n-cheese in my dream last night. I woke up telling Matt about how awesome it was. So now I could really go for some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! I am tempted to drive to Athens right now. All that fat sounds absolutely fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika, you should REALLY take some off my hands.

    Katie, please do!

    ReplyDelete