Sunday, September 19, 2010

Adventures in Babysitting, part ?!

260.
I really enjoy babysitting. It's (usually) fun, passes the time quickly...all around positive. I got to spend the weekend nannying for one of my favorite families. There is a lake near their house so the first evening we went for a walk (with me armed with my camera and on snake look-out) to it. The little girl LOVES to have her photo taken, so I got some cute shots for her parents. But those won't be on here. These will though...
The top right picture were the "treasures" she found. She had a lot of fun setting up the pictures. The bottom right picture was from my commitment to get a awesome water splash shot. She was happy to oblidge by throwing many rocks into the lake. The whole thing would have worked better with a different lens, but you gotta work with what you got. I have like 20 of those pictures now, and I can't make myself get rid of them (yet. I'm sure I'll get the urge to purge pictures soon). I really like the lighting in the top left shot, even if I'm not in love with its framing.
Posted by Picasa
Guilty evidence. She came across some berries and I told her, "hey, you shouldn't pick those up, they'll stain your hands." Repeat a couple times. I turn my back to take a picture and I hear a small "uh-oh." I just have her promise to not lick her fingers before we get home.


She was eager to want to play with my camera. I was not so eager about that idea. I compromised by putting everything on automatic, putting the neck strap around her neck and having her lean against a fence. She took my picture, and loved it (I think she likes the click sound). She then told me she had a tough decision to make. What, I asked. "I need to decide if I'm going to be a teacher or a photographer. Or a lifeguard."

Posted by Picasa

261.
Following a 6 a.m. wake-up we went to one of my favorite parks. Why my favorite? It has these swing-y seats that you spin around in really fast. They're incredible. I decided it would be fun to try to get one of those soft-blurry pictures while I was spinning around really fast (and I did have a plan in mind in how to save the camera if I spun off the chair).
As you can see, that idea failed. Because the lighting was so harsh (noon) I had to set the shutter speed really high, so I couldn't get it low enough to get blurry. All that really happened from this is that I (not the 6-year old I was sitting) got sick from getting to dizzy from spinning. A win of the situation is that she (finally) decided to get on them (and decided she liked them).

Following our afternoon I decided to make dinner (to her chagrin; she was holding out for pizza). I wanted to make it fun for her, so I taught her how to make garlic bread, and let her make it.
Posted by Picasa
It was more like oregeno bread. But she was proud of herself. And had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment