Thursday, May 30, 2013

oh shi-NGLES.

On Monday night I was at a family BBQ, and felt something weird on my neck.  I asked someone to look at it--it wasn't itchy, it just felt weird.  Friends had a look, didn't know what it was, so I carried on.  Tuesday, it still there.  Wednesday, still there, with another outbreak on my chest and some swollen lymph nodes.  The lymph nodes had me calling the doctor.  I explained my symptoms (non-itchy red rash and swollen lymph nodes), and was expecting to get a called-in prescription for a cream that I could get and go on with.  Instead, I got a call back for an appointment the next morning (today).

I went into the appointment anticipating hearing something lame like "heat rash."  What I wasn't anticipating--SHINGLES.  He had to tell me twice because I didn't follow the first time.

So, here I am.  27 with shingles.

In case you're curious:

  • I am way, way more tired than usual in the afternoons.
  • I've had an on-again/off-again fever for a couple days.
  • Stomach cramps.
  • Headache that comes and goes.
  • Rash (obvi).
And if you're even more curious, the treatment is:
  • Horse pills (anti-virals)
  • Topical steroid cream
  • Cold compresses
I asked the obvious question, "what caused them?" and the response was, "are you under more stress?"  I don't think so, but maybe I should engage in more de-stressing activities like...
  • Iced coffee runs
  • List making
  • Crossing things off of said lists
  • Painting my nails red
  • Fashion blogging
  • A long run in the morning (Dr. Google said to exercise if it makes you less stressed, done & done).
  • Fun weekends
Good thing all of those are on the horizon!

No comments:

Post a Comment