Saturday, July 2, 2011

a tale of 2 watermelons

For about a week I have stared at my blogger dashboard seeing that this was going to be my 200th post and I wanted to do something "special" or "different." Instead I'm going to be sharing about watermelons. Oh well. I tried.

Watermelons? Upon returning from Scotland (and yes, recap posts are coming...sometime) I had the most intense cravings for only fruit and salad. This was manifested by my dinner for the past 2.5 weeks or so of the same thing every night: watermelon and strawberries (oh and sometimes a greek yogurt). But not a slight amount of watermelon, no no. I put a dish towel over my shirt and would dice up a hunk of it for dinner. It was fabulous.

This week I went to the grocery store after work (my list being whole grain pecan cereal, ice cream, and watermelon), grabbed my items, and headed out. I get home, continue the domestic streak by cleaning out the fridge and chucking everything old/not needed (including the receipt from my just-made purchases, an important part in this story) and taking it to the dumpster. I come back in, grab my towel, the cutting board, and dice the melon. It's rotten. Like, mush. I'm looking at it and observing how it has the exact texture of the watermelon I got food poisoning from a few years ago. There's no way I'm eating it.

I'm a little out of sorts since this is one, my dinner, two, it's past dinner time, three, my dinner is inedible, and four, I'm going to have to take care of it now (I wouldn't have time to go back to the grocery store for about 4 days). I call Publix and tell the story and all is well until they say, "just bring your receipt in!" I then go even further back in the story and share how I tossed it. They said it's okay and come on in. Well, the same friendly lady on the phone is not the same friendly lady (and gentleman) behind the counter when I get there, but when all is said and done I leave with a new watermelon.

And the next day a coupon for Earthfare comes in for a $2 watermelon. Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment